I haven’t been consistently keeping up with the Tuesday Two-Fer and Semi-New Sunday posts, but I’ve been feeling bad about it, which is at least something. I think I do better with scheduled posts. So I’m going to borrow an idea from writer Jim C Hines and devote Fridays to a link round-up, including anything interesting I’ve found over the previous week.
(For the record, I tried typing “Friday’s Alright” to get it a little closer to the song, but it almost physically pains me to type “alright”).
Today’s is a special entry because it’s Jason’s birthday, and he’s the best. Join me in wishing him a great day!
- Altered Image’s “Happy Birthday,” which is his favorite
- Stevie Wonder’s “Happy Birthday,” which is my favorite
- Sugarcubes “Birthday,” which has Bjørk bein’ Bjørk in full effect
- The Beatles also recorded a song about the occasion
- “Lugent” by Jeremy Blake on Red Means Recording, which has nothing to do with birthdays but is one of his absolute best OP-1 tracks
- “Searching for Shelley Duvall” in The Hollywood Reporter also has nothing to do with birthdays, and is even more than a little sad, but there’s a wonderfully positive undercurrent to it. A sense that our humanity means so much more than the shallow and temporary trappings of celebrity.